Website generated and maintained by Ali Smith, PMHB Limited.
This autumn, on September 10th 2016, sees the return of the KGSBC Sponsored Row which this year will be from Henley to our boathouse in Thames Ditton. All rowers from the current J14 squad and up will, we hope, take part and raise funds for our chosen charity “Young Minds” and towards some new single sculling boats to improve our fleet.
We will also be advertising some taster sessions for parents this summer in May and coaching will be provided by some of the KGS coaching team and the KGS Veterans Boat Club, made up of Old Kingstonians and past and present parents. The “KGS Vets” will be running a learn to row course through the summer after the taster sessions and we hope to have at least one parents crew completing the sponsored row as well.
The Sponsored Row 2016 will see crews row 70km starting at dawn in Henley on Thames and completing the row in the late afternoon or early evening. The Sherriff Club will be organizing a BBQ and party at the boathouse when crews finish and we hope there will be a big celebration when the final crews arrive after their gruelling row.
To make this event a success we need YOUR help! The Sherriff Club and KGS coaches will be coordinating the day but we need
- “Lock parties”. 3-4 people per lock to assist crews through the lock and feed and water our intrepid rowers and to keep moral high! We will run sessions as to how to work the locks after May Half-term so no previous experience is necessary and KGS coaches will also be on the river in safety boats and for most of the day River Thames locks are manned by trained lock keepers
- Sandwich makers – in 2012 the rowers and support team munched over 1000 rolls, 500 bananas, 1000, slices of cake and drank over 1000 liters of squash!
- Drivers – are you willing to transport food and drink along the Thames Valley to deliver to the lock parties to keep the rowers fuelled
- Cyclists – we may need a small number of parents to cycle with crews along the towpath so we have communication with all crews
- A myriad of other exciting, worthwhile supportive jobs!!
The 2012 Sponsored Row also raised over £60,000 which was split between our chosen charity and the school boat house redevelopment!
So, what can you do?
1. We NEED your help! Please email myself, Mr Smalman-Smith or speak with Lieke Stokman, Sherriff Club Chair, with offers of help
2. Mark Saturday 10th September in your diaries KGS SPONOSRED ROW!
3. Come and try the taster sessions in May and discover what your children do on the river and marvel at how easy and graceful they make this challenging sport appear!
4. Sponsor your child, get your family to sponsor your child, does your company match sponsorship raised? Can we break our amazing record from 2012?
Please come and be involved in this fantastic event, it is held once every four years and your children will talk about it for years to come!
If you want to get involved, and WE REALLY DO NEED YOU! Please contact
Phil Simmons psimmons
Mr Smalman-Smith rsmalmansmith
|Rules and Safety|
|Boat Club Rules|
|Rules of the River|
|Responsibilities and Expected Behaviour|
|Rules of 50|
|Senior Weekly Term Time Training|
|Heads and Regattas|
|The Ones to Watch|
|How to Spot Your Rower|
|International Results Table|
|Sponsored Row 2016|
|Other Sherriff Events|
|Hampton Court Event Parking|
|Sponsored Row 2012|
|Leukimia and Lymphoma Research|
|Smalman Smith's Transatlantic Row|
|Issy and Sophie's Ergo Challenge|
|Toby's Ergo Marathon|
|Find Us/Contact Us|